Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Designer Possibilities

As you know, I've been working on baby shower gifts. The bonnet is done, size 3-6 months. A newborn sized baby squash hat is done, and 5 out of (hopefully) 8 baby washcloths are done (well, minus ends being woven in).



I'm not thrilled about the color combinations, but I haven't been thrilled with the dishcloth cotton selection at AC Moore in general - at least in terms of generic baby colors. The washcloths are 5"x5", and done in either garter stitch or seed stitch.

Washcloths are handy playground knitting, but can get a bit boring, so yesterday I cast on for Reasonably Hip. I plan on giving it to my nephew for his birthday, but I'm slightly concerned about the size - it seems small. I didn't swatch. The pattern calls for Encore, and I'm using Plymouth Canadiana. Typically, I get a slightly larger product with Plymouth. We'll see how it goes.


I find that the more I knit, the more I'm understanding construction. For example, Reasonably Hip uses short rows for shaping in the back. I didn't really get it, but now that I see, it makes perfect sense! I've had some few thoughts on designing things. They weren't really serious thoughts. However, The Fabric Place, my local fabric/yarn store, is having a Black and White Design Challenge. It has me thinking, and I might just give designing a try.

1 comment:

km said...

DO IT! The designing thing. Even if you don't win, it's a chance to stretch yourself and your thinking. It's fun. Now I'm off to go look at reasonably hip. I think I've seen that somewhere as a FO...I just have to remember.