Friday, August 3, 2007

You don't knit for crack 'hos...




Quite possibly the best quote from Yarn Harlot last night at Borders. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is FUNNY - if you know enough about knitting to get her jokes. I've read a couple of her books, and not only do they make me laugh, I learn a lot at the same time! I wish my school textbooks were as entertaining.

But, I have to say, I've been contemplating her drug-addicted, naked in gold shoes neighbor. Why don't we knit for crack 'hos? We willingly bring hats to donate to charity - many of which go to homeless individuals. It's reasonable to assume these people have drug issues. Maybe we ignore it because there's no real face to them - we're just knitting for a multitude of homeless, no back story required.

I think the naked, gold shoed neighbor needs a handknit. (At least she wouldn't be naked anymore!) Maybe she needs to know someone thinks about her, and cares, just a little bit. In my Bible study we're studying Luke. Jesus says: "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."

Who do you know who would probably take your coat - can you knit them a tunic?

No comments: