Friday, January 18, 2008

Dishcloth Topic #1

Weekly Topic: Dishrag. Dishcloth. Face cloth. I've seen folks get all fired up in forums when someone refers to their knit or crochet creation as a dishrag, as that's somehow offensive to them! When you're working on yours, what do you call them? Also, is there a difference between a dishrag and a dishcloth? How bout a facecloth? Are they all really the same thing?

I think a dishrag and a dishcloth are the same thing. Perhaps a dishrag has been used more often than a dishcloth. Perhaps dishy things start off as a cloth, and eventually get relegated to a rag. And a facecloth - well, that's serious business. Let me check out the difference between my store-bought dishcloths and washcloths (because that's what I call a facecloth.) Hmmm, they're about the same size, but my washcloths tend to be smoother and one color, whereas my dishcloths tend to have texture and be multi-colored.

If you're knitting - does it matter? It's something handmade. If someone made for you, it's made with love attached! It's a cloth. Use it for something clothy! I made my girlfriend some for her new kitchen. She uses them as hot pads.

Seriously, people get "fired up" about this? Shouldn't they be worried about something more significant? People in the world are hungry, cold, and worried what will happen if the NY Giants play the Patriots in the Superbowl. Let's not argue about semantics. Just don't go calling my pop a soda! :)

Knit/Craft/Chat and Snack night at my house tonight. 3 people will (hopefully) be learning to knit!

Happy knitting!

2 comments:

Knit'inCrazee.... said...

I agree w/ you... We always called them dishrags, they weren't raggy! face cloths we call wash cloths. To me it doesn't matter what they are called. if someone makes one for you love it and use it!

Have fun at the knit/craft/chat night. Sure sounds like a lot of fun! let us know how many new knitters there are in the world!

Alaina said...

I want to come play!

Tell me about your knit/craft/chat night....It sounds like a whole lot of fun :)