Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day!

Because there's shockingly little knitting content on my knitting blog, check out these cute valentines.

In my youth, I dreaded Valentine's Day. In high school, the Student Council always sold carnations, and I always wondered if anyone would send me one. (I always got one or two from friends.)

My freshman year of college, my high school boyfriend broke up with me over the phone the day before Valentine's Day. He had already sent me a card, which I received the next day. When the first handwritten words you read on a card are "I really wish I meant what this card says", it puts a big damper on your day. It all worked out okay though, because I still got an "A" on my astronomy test that day, and I found I was relieved not to have to deal with said boyfriend once he was gone.

5 years later, the guy I thought was the great love of my life broke up with me the week before Valentine's Day, because our combined school/work schedules made it virtually impossible to find time to spend together. Even then I knew that true love waits out the semester. Again, it all turned out okay because this is someone that I'm really thankful to have known since middle school, and really set the bar high for boyfriend material (despite the bummer break-up). Great guy, but just not the greatest guy for me.

And thank goodness!!!!!

3 years after that, I moved to Boston. A few weeks after I moved, I met my husband at work. I was so busy with a new job and full load of classes, that I barely noticed him (although I admit to silently acknowledging his good looks!) But, a year later, we just clicked. We started hanging out and getting to know each other, and few months later, we were dating. And about a minute and half after that, I knew without a doubt that this was the man I was going to marry (it took him a few weeks more to figure it out).

Since meeting my husband, we've had some GREAT Valentine's Days. Our first one, we went to a Tapas restaurant for dinner. The tables were small rectangles, and we were seated at the short ends. Jeff turned the table around, so that we were sitting on the long ends and thus, seated closer together. I just loved that he did that! (Roll your eyes if you need to. We were newly dating.) After dinner we went ice skating on Frog Pond in the Boston Common, and Jeff twirled me around and around. SO FUN!

The next couple of years we celebrated Valentine's Day at home with romantic dinners, and since then, Valentine's Day has become a family dinner party. We'll use a tablecloth and have candles on the table, and exchange cards and little presents, and have something yummy and chocolatey for dessert. I love all the extra hugs and kisses I get from the kids on Valentine's Day, and I am so thankful for all the icky Valentines that led up to me meeting my husband.
(BTW, I'm over 20 pounds lighter now than I was in this picture.)

Do you love/loathe Valentines? Do you have any memories to share?

I hope that your Valentine's Day finds you surrounded by people who love you!

And you know, yarn you love to knit!

1 comment:

Truly Myrtle said...

Happy valentines day Dorothy! Thanks for leaving lovely comment on my blog!
We have children nearly the same age! Mine are (nearly)10, 8, (nearly)5 and (so very nearly) 2. I too am addicted to yarn - my husband is a very tolerant man!!!
Libby X