Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rhinebeck Budget

When I first decided to go to the NYS Sheep and Wool Festival next Fall, I decided that I would need to bring a certain amount of money with me to spend. And then I started to read people's blogs and see what they bought, and I started to think about what I would want to purchase, and I realized that while my original amount isn't too bad, I would probably have more fun with more money in my pocket. I really don't want to spend the whole weekend agonizing over every purchase because of limited funds.

So, I drew up a budget. Actually, I drew up 13 different budgets based upon the amount of money I might be able to save/earn/receive as gifts.

My first budget addresses these items:
  • Yarn - a sweater's worth
  • Yarn - individual skeins or whathaveyou
  • Non-Yarn - knitting accessories, needles, all the wonderful cheese and wine I keep hearing about.

Unfortunately, this only address the Festival itself, and not any travel expenses, or even the tickets! I'd like this trip to not effect our household budget too much. Therefore, budgets 2-3 include these items:

  • 2 day Festival Ticket
  • Food - because eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner makes me a happier person
  • Motel - dirt cheap because we're staying at the Super 8
  • Tips - I hear the bathroom attendants are unbelievable!

Budgets 4 & 5 add a little more money into the original three categories and money for

  • Tourism - I'm really hoping to be able to leave Friday morning, either because DH can take the day off of work, or I can arrange for someone to watch Baby Girl for the day, and stop at the Vanderbilt mansion or Val-Kill, Eleanor Roosevelt's house.

I would be really happy if Budget 5 is met. I think I would really enjoy myself, and it covers most of my expenses. If I'm really careful with my allowance, and a few money earning opportunities present themselves, I also think Budget 5 is within the realm of possibility.

Budgets 6-7 gives me a little bit more money for food (which I could apply to the cheeses and wine at the Festival, thus freeing up some non-yarn money for other non-yarn things) and

  • Gas - the car doesn't run for free

Budgets 8-13 add money to previous items, that are not set costs. In other words, these budgets would allow me to actually have enough gas to get there and home and to buy a whole lot of knitterly goodness. They're long shot budgets. I have no idea how I would be able to save up enough to meet them, but I don't think it's wrong to dream. I don't think that Rhinebeck is ever going to become an annual thing for me, and this could be the one and only time I attend. I really want to enjoy it! This plan is also helping my diet, because before I stop at Dunkin' Donuts for a muffin, or Starbucks for a coffee, I'm asking myself, "Is this worth giving up something at Rhinebeck?"

So, questions:

  • Have I gotten a little ridiculous with the bullets?
  • Have I forgotten an item to be budgeted?
  • How do you plan out your yarn shopping budget?

Happy knitting!



1 comment:

Wool Free and Lovin' Knit said...

Over-budgeting is always a good thing. The next things I do is start a list of all the ways I can earn the money (or save it from other things) to reach my goal. That's the list that needs to be the most creative for me as I can always find things to spend it on. LOL.