Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pretty in Pink

Yesterday, all of the area schools were canceled due to the weather. This meant that my husband was home all day, but that the little kids were invited across the street to play with a friend who is usually at preschool. I was a little nervous about the day - I was determined to finish the Ellis dress, but DH often takes snow days to be productive around the house. It's hard for me to sit and knit while he's cleaning. Thankfully, DH decided his productivity would be related to paperwork. With the kids gone, I propped up my feet, popped in a movie, and knit away!

It took all day, but I finished the dress (minus the weaving in of ends, and the buttons. I still have to buy those.)

What do you think?

I really like it. I am realizing that my finishing skills need some work. There's nothing massively wrong with the neckline, but there are some issues related to bind offs and picking up stitches. I'm thinking that practice makes perfect, and that some point in my future I'll take a class in finishing techniques. In the meantime, I'm guessing the baby isn't going to complain.

Also, Lissie asked to see the baby squash hat, so here it is (BTW - the ends aren't woven in here either!)

I just can't express enough how much I love this hat! I think I've made one for every baby that has come along since I found the pattern in 101 Designer One Skein Wonders. I'm thinking about making another one in pink for baby girl. (I know a lot of mothers don't like drowning their little girls in pink. I am not that mother. I have NO PROBLEM putting her in other colors, but I like baby girls in pink, and since I'm the one picking out and/or making her clothes, I'm going to do what I want. Please know, that I have every intention of encouraging her athletic skills too.)

Yesterday marked 35 weeks of pregnancy. Last night, I got woken up by Braxton Hicks contractions TWICE. They hurt! I'm hoping this means baby will come sooner rather than later. I want her to be fully cooked, but I want her HERE! This whole pregnancy thing has lost its glow for me quite a while ago.

In the meantime, I have more baby things to knit. There's a quick garter stitch newborn sized sweater in the 101 Luxury One Skein Wonders book. I happen to have some non-Luxury yarn that will fit the bill that I've been trying to find a reason to use up. Also, I plan on making a bonnet to go with the Ellis dress, and this cute bunny beanie for Easter - all of which is going to use up yarn I already have. And the Cotton Kisses cardigan is still traveling around with me.

Hmmmm, on second thought, maybe baby should wait awhile. Who knows how much knitting time there will be once she makes her appearance? :)

Happy knitting, all!

4 comments:

Debby said...

Love, love the pink dress! Could it be sized up for an 18 month old? (I agree with you on the pink!)

Miss Me said...

if i had a little girl she would wear LOTS of pink simply because i LOVE it! the dress is gorgeous and finishing does get easier with practice. the bunny beanie put a smile on my face on this snowy day. it made me believe that spring WILL come!

lauriec said...

I love baby girls in pink (and purple!) & at almost 5 yrs old, the Wee One still loves to wear it!

Plus, I hated when she'd be in say, a red dress & people would call her a boy.

km said...

I love the pink too. And you have to enjoy it before she starts choosing her own clothes. 3 is pretty opinionated about what she'll wear. Thank God she still likes pink. She's just into wearing 2 different socks.