Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Rhinebeck Itinerary

I'm scrambling around trying to take care of last minute stuff - I need a little notebook for my purse, I have to make up some meals for the family to eat while I'm gone, need to program the GPS, etc, etc, but I thought I'd take a moment to share my itinerary. At some point there was a thread on Ravelry about our fantasy itineraries. I thought I had posted it here too, but couldn't seem to find it. I will say that my reality is not all that different from what I was hoping for!

I'm leaving on Thursday by 6 a.m., with the goal of being at the Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park for the 10 a.m. tour. I could also do the 11 a.m. tour, so I'm not too worried about delays. I'm hoping for beautiful weather because I really want to walk around the grounds. At 12:30 I have a lunch reservation at the Culinary Institute of America's Italian restaurant. I've been checking out their menu online. I'm not sure how up to date it is; usually when I've checked the lunch menu and dinner menu have similar items. Right now, not so much. But I'm hoping!!! The lunch menu is okay, but the dinner menu has rabbit, and oxtail, and boar. All things I would be so excited to try!

After lunch I'll tour the FDR house and if time permits I'll hit Val-Kill too. Then I'll have to decide if I should check into my motel or head directly to the Hudson Valley Sheep and Wool Company open house. I'm excited to see some sheep and do a little shopping! The entire store, except for books, will be 20% off!

My mom will be meeting me at some point, and we'll spend the rest of the evening together.

Friday morning, we both have classes. I'm taking "All Spindles, All Day" with Abby Franquemont. Hopefully, I'll be making much higher quality yarn by the end of the day! After class, we're going to eat dinner at the Everready Diner. We're hoping for burgers and egg creams. Diners like that make me wish I liked Apple Pie!

Saturday we'll be hitting the fairgrounds early and shopping the day away. I plan to take part in the chopstick knitting and drop spindling competitions. Saturday night we'll be attending the Cooperative Press party.

Finally, on Sunday, we'll shop some more, and hopefully, check out some of the other fair stuff. I'd like to see the llama jumping, pumpkin chuckin', sheep dog trials, and the sheep to shawl competition.

I have to say, I'm not looking forward to the drive home! I can already imagine how tired I will be!

I hope you have wonderfully exciting weekend plans as well! Better yet, I hope to see you around Rhinebeck!

1 comment:

Wool Free and Lovin Knit said...

Wow, sounds like a wonderful weekend. Have a great time and I hope it's cool and dry enough to show off your sweater the whole time!