Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fetchingly Cute Mittens

A couple of years ago, I started this blog in order to be eligible to participate in a Fall Felted Bag Swap, hosted by Anne. It turned out that Anne was my upstream partner, and she sent me, among other things, a skein of Malabrigo Worsted in blue, which I planned on using to knit myself a pair of mittens. Two-ish years and at least three different pattern attempts later, I have myself a pair of mittens! (Someday I'll take really nice pictures, but this is what I had time for today.)




The Malabrigo was really nice to knit with it, and I'm quite pleased with the mittens. They're not perfect - they're a little big (but I'm hoping a couple of snowball fights will cure that) and I don't really like the ridges the purl stitches make on the inside (but I can live with them) and the kitchener stitch on the right mitten isn't correct, and makes a purl row (which makes it easier to determine which mitten is for the right hand and which is for the left). Despite these imperfections, I LOVE these mittens. The color is gorgeous, and there is just enough detailing to keep them interesting without making them huge conversation pieces. They're just mittens. Warm, wooly mittens. For me.

The mitten pattern can be found here. I really only used it for the decreases at the top of the mitten and the thumb. I stuck to the original Fetching pattern, using a size 6 needle and casting on 45 stitches. Mostly because I had it memorized after the three pair I knit for Christmas.

I have two baby sweaters to finish (one which was started for baby girl, and which she's pretty much already outgrown), an ornament to make if I'm to stay on track with my monthly Christmas knitting, and a sweater to cast on for me. Not quite sure what I'll be working on this afternoon.....I'll let you know.

Happy Knitting!

5 comments:

Jknits said...

Great mittens!

Nina said...

Ooh, pretty mittens! I want a pair of Malabrigo mittens too. After I finish the pair I'm working on now. :)

Wool Free and Lovin' Knit said...

Gorgeous mittens, love the color -- and look at you knocking out those 2010 goals already!

scmommyknits said...

Lovely mittens!! funny, I just started some Mmmmalabrigo mmmmittens myself this morning, too ('tis the season :)

Erin Wallace said...

Nice Mittens! Especially love the color.

Good luck on the drawing!