Monday, May 14, 2012

I made some yarn!

On Thursday night, I plied my two balls of handspun. Or rather, I plied about half of my handspun. My spindle started to run out of room, and then my two balls of yarn got really tangled. So, I cut it, and wound up what I had finished. (Mental note - find a larger spindle to ply with)

Here's my finished product:


I have, I think, about 54 yards here. There's a lot of variation in thickness, but there are actual parts of it that look like well done yarn. Not a lot of parts but they're in there. I haven't measured the wraps-per-inch to see what weight yarn it even approximates, and I don't think I'm going to. I'm going to ply the rest, set the twist, and then decide if I'm going to make anything with it, or just keep it as a souvenir.

Yesterday, I worked on the Bakersfield Shawlette. I used my new wristaff to hold my yarn, and I LOVE IT! It's very convenient to walk around with the yarn dangling from your wrist, and it's much less cumbersome than a project bag. Isn't the yarn gorgeous?


The wristaff is obviously easy to make. It's just a cord, a bead, a wooden disc, and another bead on the top to change the size of the loop. I may try to make one myself.....

The shawlette is moving along quickly. We'll see if it stays that way.....

Happy knitting!

No comments: