Monday, March 15, 2010

North Shore Yarn Crawl - Part II

Saturday I hit two more stores on the North Shore Yarn Crawl - the Sit 'n Knit in Melrose and Butterfly Yarns in Wakefield. These are the two stores closest to my house, and I've been to them both a number of times.

The Sit 'n Knit is manned by two very nice and helpful ladies. I'm always a little disappointed that every time I'm in there, no one seems to realize I've been there before, especially since I always have at least one beautiful child in tow who is wearing something I've knit. It's an art - remembering your customers - but I particularly appreciate salespeople who do this. The store itself is great for "workhorse yarns" - Rowan, Cascade, Encore, etc. I never feel like there is anything different or amazing, and unlike most stores, there aren't a lot of samples hanging around to give you ideas. Since I use a lot of workhorse yarns, I'm glad that this store is close to me!

I've had mixed experiences at Butterfly Yarns. Actually, most of them have been really good except once. I went in with a friend right when they opened, and the person working was far more interested in doing whatever she was doing than helping us. I almost never went back. The kicker is, two of the salespeople are twins. I have no idea which twin was so unhelpful. The other times I've been there though, the sales staff has been attentive without being overbearing, and have been more than helpful. I bought some fingering weight cotton/silk yarn to make a dress for Baby Girl. I'm super excited because I found something that I'm sure will work perfectly and was much less expensive than the options I had seen at other stores.

Overall, I enjoyed the North Shore Yarn Crawl. It was a great excuse to see some yarn shops that are only a little out of my way. I was a little disappointed in the lack of in-store specials related to the crawl. I did receive some free patterns from Abbott Yarns, and Seed Stitch had an advertised special of buy six skeins get one free, but I didn't see any of the other promotions mentioned on the yarn crawl website. And really, I just expect stores to have sales, especially during such an event. I know this is the first year that the stores have done this. I hope they do it again and that they have some more promotions.

And now, I'm off to knit and wait for a phone call that I've won one of the raffles!!

Happy Knitting!

No comments: