Friday, November 9, 2012

Hurricane Knitting

I started this post well over a week ago, but never got around to taking pictures. So, I'm just going to edit it a little here or there. Sorry if it's confusing to anyone.

I got a little carried away with the knitting this weekend. (Which is really two weekends ago now)

Thursday I needed something easy to take with me so I grabbed some sock yarn and needles. I knit a cuff and then checked out sock patterns in my queue when I got home. I decided to knit a pair of Monkeys. They've been hanging out in my queue since I first knit socks, so I think it's time.

Friday afternoon, we met up with friends from Medford (where we lived before we moved) and trick-or-treated in Medford Square. We LOVE this tradition! We see so many of our friends (both the kids and the grown-ups!) and it's so much fun to see all of the costumes. Our favorite this year was a lego man - made totally out of cardboard boxes. After trick-or-treating we went to my in-laws house for dinner. They loved seeing the kids in their costumes! But while there, my MIL was wearing a shawl I knit for her quite a few years ago. I knit it out of awful acrylic yarn and bound off early because I got tired of knitting garter stitch. Despite it's shortcomings, my MIL throws it on around the house all the time. I've decided it's time for a new shawl. I used the fingering weight BFL I bought at the Holidome to cast on for a Multnomah Shawl for her. It's very easy - garter stitch followed by Feather and Fan. It will make a great traveling project. So, hopefully that gets done by Christmas.
I'm about to start the feather and fan section now
I finally finished the swatch I brought to Rhinebeck with me. And I didn't get gauge. I washed the swatch, it grew, and I'm a lot closer to gauge. So, I cast on for the Katrine Cardigan. I knit mostly on that during the actual storm, with a few breaks to work on the shawl.
(Sorry for the craptastic photo.) Um, yeah, I've knit on this quite a bit. I started the first sleeve last night. I'd like it to be a bit longer, but I'm afraid of running out of yarn. So, I'm going to do the sleeves and then determine if I can add any length.)
And then today I discovered that Baby Girl had found my third, now completed, tummy warmer and a pair of scissors. It wasn't pretty and I can't even really talk about it any more than that without getting really upset. Here's a picture. It still hurts to look at it. Sorry the pictures is sideways, but you get the drift.

 I hit up a LYS for another skein of Cascade 220 Sport (BTW, did you know that Cascade 220 now has a fingering weight yarn? It's more than 220 yards/skein) and cast on for another tummy warmer, so all three triplets can have one. This will probably be the last time I knit 3 of anything besides hats. I'm bored with this pattern now.

(As you can see, I've had a hard time being motivated to work on this. I did finish the #3 hat though, and mailed that off to BFF)

Finally, since my elbow kind of hurts from all this knitting (is knitter's elbow a thing?) I spent a bit of time spinning the Romney roving I bought at Rhinebeck on my Golding Spindle.

When the spindle is full, I've been winding the yarn onto these antique weaving spindles I bought for $1 each. I think I'm going to try a 3-ply yarn when the singles are done. I've also been hanging out with the Turkish spindle a few minutes each day.
I would love to be this productive every weekend. It won't happen though - I'm behind on the laundry, picking up, and general upkeep of the house. I really have to learn how to knit and vacuum at the same time.

What's on your needles these days?


sapphireblue said...

Wow! You got a lot done!

Jane said...

Vacuum and knit at the same time? Now that's a trick I'd like to learn ;)

I've been worrying about you and your family since we heard about Sandy. As we watched the horrible news come in, I kept on thinking about you and telling Joel: "I hope they're ok. They've just bought the house".